RRC-EA and Wetland Center of the National Institute of Ecology formalize collaboration
On the occasion of World Wetlands Day 2021 (2 February 2021), the Ramsar Regional Center – East Asia (RRC-EA) and the National Institute of Ecology (NIE) – Wetland Center of the Republic of Korea signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to strengthen cooperation on wetland conservation and implementation of international conventions. The signing ceremony took place at the office of the Wetland Center located in Changnyeong, Republic of Korea.
The Wetland Center of NIE leads national wetland research in the country including basic and in-depth scientific survey on inland wetlands as well as supporting national CEPA activities to enhance awareness on wetlands.
As the RRC-EA and Wetland Center of NIE have previously collaborated for wetland conservation, the MOU signing will further reinforce national and international cooperation on wetland conservation and implementation of the Ramsar Convention between the two (2) organizations.
Based on the MOU, it is expected that the RRC-EA and Wetland Center of NIE will cooperate for:
- implementation of the Ramsar Convention including Wetland City Accreditation and resolutions,
- enhancing awareness on wetland conservation including celebrating World Wetlands Day,
- building a network for wetland visitor/education centers at the national and international levels,
- developing cooperative activities with the private sector for wetland conservation, and
- other activities in support of the implementation of the Ramsar Convention at the national and international levels.