6th Wetland Link International – Asia Conference in Japan
- share good programs, information and experience on managing wetland education/visitor centers
- expand the knowledge base on current wetland studies and issues in Asia
- discuss objectives and methodologies to maintain an active network of WLI-Asia members
- discuss potential cooperative funding mechanisms for WLI-Asia
- explore joint activities among WLI-Asia members
The conference featured three sessions and one field visit. Session 1 provided an overview of global and regional initiatives that promote communication, capacity building, education, participation, and awareness (CEPA) for wetlands, while Session 2 was allotted for the sharing of experiences on establishing networks of wetland education centers and implementing CEPA programs in wetland education centers. Resource persons included representatives from the East Asia-Australasian Flyway Partnership (EAAFP) and National Geographic Foundation for Science and Exploration – Asia, and from the countries of China, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia and Sri Lanka. Session 3 facilitated discussions on the requirements for WLI-Asia membership, benefits of being a member, and development of a cooperative funding mechanism for WLI-Asia Members. The event was capped with field visits to the Mudflat Observation House in Kashima City and the Saga Water Management Historical Center. The 6th WLI-Asia Conference was held back-to-back with the Asian Wetland Symposium (AWS) 2017.